2. If two or more individual names or pronouns are bound by or even, use a singular verb. 17 ACTIVITY 1 Change the following sentences in the active voice:11. The trees were toppled by the wind. 12. The thieves were arrested by the police. 13. The letter was mailed by Alice. 14. We were received by the hostess. 15. The snake was killed with a stick. 6 REASONS TO USE ACTIVE VOICE? Active example: the server dropped the food tray.
Passive: The food tray was abandoned by the waiter. WHY YOU USE ACTIVE VOICE? Most authors prefer the active voice because it is more direct. 15 ACTIVITY 1 Change the following sentences in the active voice: We are taught by Mrs. Sullivan Grammatik. 2. He was congratulated by the professor. 3. The injured were taken to hospital by firefighters. 4. The city was destroyed by an earthquake.
5. The teacher was satisfied with the boy`s work. 8 WHAT IS THE PASSIVE VOICE? Example 1. The ball was thrown by Lebron.2. The basket was fired by Lebron. 3. The score was made by Lebron. WHAT IS THE PASSIVE VOICE? The passive voice is used when the subject is the recipient of the action.
3. If a composite subject contains both a singular, a plural substrate or a pronoun that is bound or bound, the verb should correspond to the part of the subject that is closer to the verb. And of course, the active voice is active — it makes our writing more dynamic and energetic. For these reasons, it is usually best to write in an active voice – and rewrite all passive phrases to make them active. 30 SUBJECT VERB AGREEMENT Example 1. He asks for help. 2. She asks for help.
3. They ask for help. SUBJECT VERBES VERBES IN THE PRESENT for third-person, s-subjekte (him, them, them and all that these words can represent) have s-Endings. Other verbs do not add s-endings. 1. If the subject of a sentence is composed of two or more subtants or pronouns bound by a plural verb and use it. Although the active voice is generally better, the passive voice makes sense in the following situations: The active voice is more concise: an active sentence is always shorter than the same sentence in passive voice. This sentence refers to the individual efforts of each crew member.
The Gregg Reference Manual provides excellent explanations for the subject-verb agreement (section 10: 1001). 10. Collective names are words that involve more than one person, but are considered singular and adopt a singular verb, such as group, team, committee, class and family. 16 ACTIVITY 1 Change the following sentences in the active voice:6. The building was damaged by the fire. 7. Who did you teach French from? 8. You will receive a ticket from the manager.
9. The streets were full of spectators. 10. We are held accountable by everyone. 24 SUBJECT VERB AGREEMENT Example Each of the basketball players is excited about today`s game. SUBJECT VERB AGREEMENT Sentences that come between the subject`s pronosun and his verb may contain plural words and confusion. 21 SUBJECT VERB AGREEMENT Subject verb simply means that the subject and the verb must agree in the number. This means that both must be singular or both must be plural.
In these last two examples, the action is conducted by a person (or group of people) and transferred to the apple and the play. Thus, the themes of the apple and the game are the recipients of the action. In these sentences, the author of the act is either named in one sentence after the verb (of Maneesha) or left without a name.